So, our Speech-maker in chief has come out with his 'plan' on 'gun violence.' 23 actions that will do nothing to solve any problem, but may create more problems for the Govt to solve!
Here they are, copied from here: LINK
1. Issue a presidential memorandum to require federal agencies to
make relevant data available to the federal background check system
How will this help?
Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent
states from making information available to the background check
In other words, force doctors to report confidential health info to the Government for tracking. Wife having bad PMS that makes her angry? The Govt wants to know.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
Do those incentives come from the barrel of a gun, or are they handing out more of the money we don't have?
Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals
prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not
slipping through the cracks.
Will he add a category for people who knowingly give guns to mexican drug cartels? Probably not, because we would have to disarm the BATFE
5. Propose rule-making to give law
enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an
individual before returning a seized gun.
Depriving people of property without due process of law?
6. Publish a letter
from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how
to run background checks for private sellers.
They know how. This is just bullshit busywork.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
We have one of those. It's called the NRA.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes
Great, I need more useless cable locks lying around my house.
9. Issue a presidential memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
Why? When the cops recover a jammed Lorcin with no serial number next to the body of Sumdood, it's pretty safe to say it's stolen.
Release a Department of Justice report analyzing information on
lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
Again- Why? What will that do to end violence?
11. Nominate a new director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
'Bout time. While you are at it, why not pass a budget?
12. Provide law enforcement, first-responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
You mean, they have not had that? Seems like that is a fail on your part that it takes 26 dead in a school to get the training out there.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
Not violent crime- GUN crime. In other words, more hammering FFLs for paperwork errors, arresting CHL holders for accidentally crossing magical gun free force-fields, and ruining peoples lives for bad measurements.
Issue a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention to research the causes and prevention of gun
How about just violence? It does not matter if Mortimer bashes in his ex-wifes head with a hammer, just as long as he don't just up and shoot her.
15. Direct the attorney general to issue a report on
the availability and most effective use of new gun-safety
technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative
Invest in vaporware? No. As soon as they make an ATM as reliable as a Kalashnikov, I'll think about putting an ATM in my Kalashnikov.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors from asking their patients about guns in their homes.
And I can still reply by asking the Doc how much money is in his bank account. Damn right that's none of EITHER of our business.
Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal
law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement
Again- They Know. Another example of 'what you do instead of something'
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school-resource officers.
Wasn't the NRA made fun of for suggesting this?
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
How about let the good guys carry there? When the shooting starts it will be good to know that the cops will have a plan when they get there in 10-20 minutes, in the mean time, let the good guys shoot back
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
Finally! They realized that the problem is caused by a lack of funding for a bloated inefficient government bureaucracy
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
ObamaCare will save us!
22. Commit to finalizing mental-health parity regulations.
"I'll totally have this done next month. Pinkie swear."
Launch a national dialogue led by Health and Human Services
Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Education Secretary Arne Duncan on
Having an idiot and a mouthbreather talk 'bout it for a while. I guess that's as effective as having Biden count the jellybeans in the jar again.