Saturday, June 8, 2013

Last weekend's project

Last weekend, I spent a lot of time working on a recent acquisition.  Building stake sides for a trailer.

My brother in law had a Harbor Freight trailer that he had converted to a Teardrop Camper.
Not his, but you get the idea

For several reasons, he was done with it, and had converted it back to trailer configuration.
Yes, that is peel and stick kitchen tile on the deck.
So I bought it, and drove it home in a monsoon.
Only lost one tile in the rainstorm!
A trailer without sides is only mostly useful.  While the base trailer has stake pockets in the frame rails, that would make the bed capacity slightly less than the 4x8 size of the trailer.  Using those pockets means I could not lay a sheet of plywood or drywall flat on it with the sides on.  So I went to Red Trailers and bought a set of bolt on stake pockets and side connectors and went to work.
Why yes, that is a microbrew IPA in an insulated plastic cup.
In my attempt to not make stuff too heavy, I used 3/8" plywood for the sides.  That is pretty flimsy, so I had to brace between the stake pockets.  I did not want to increase the weight by using more pressure treated lumber, so I used the bracing from the inside of a storm-killed EZ-Up canopy

NOW I'll be able to see it in the rearview mirror!
...and it was ready to roll. 


Now I have a utility trailer.  No, I cannot help you move.



3 comments:

  1. Hmmm....seeing this trailer means you don't have an excuse about not being able to bring all you firearms to the next Dallas Area Blogshoot.

    :)

    Nice looking work

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to see the old teardrop in a new incarnation. Part of the dream lives on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wife wants to paint it burnt orange.

      Delete