Monday, July 9, 2012

BBQ Brisket

You might have noticed a couple of pictures of a brisket over the last couple of days.  This was a last minute decision to have brisket on the 4th, so I did not have much time to plan.

I got a 9.5 lb brisket from Costco, rubbed it with kosher salt, onion and garlic powders, fresh cracked black pepper, and some smoked paprika.  I put it into the Bradley Smoker and gave it 4 hours of Mesquite smoke at about 200 degrees. 
While smoking, I would open the door every once in a while and spritz it with a  50/50 mix of Worcestershire and apple juice. 


After 4 hours, I moved it to a foil pan, added a small bit of the spritz mix to the pan.  I covered it with foil and stuck it in the oven at 195 degrees, and went to bed. 


The next morning, I pulled the foil off and drained off the extra liquid in the pan (and reserved it).  Then I upped the temp on the oven to 220 degrees and gave it 2-3 more hours of heat to 'set' the bark on the outside. 

While the brisket was finishing up, I put the liquid that I had reserved into a sauce pan and set it to boil, after skimming off the fat.  When it reduced by half, I added some black pepper, the remains of a bottle of commercial BBQ sauce, a little garlic and some apple cider vinegar.  This cooked together and became one of the best sauce I have ever had. 


When the meat was falling apart tender, I wrapped it in foil then in a towel, and put it in a cooler for transport.  This "FTC" step seems to be critical for a brisket according to several online sources.  I don't know if it is- but it worked for keeping it warm for the 2 hours until dinner. 




I think I have cracked the brisket code.  I need to replicate this 2-3 more times and make sure I have it down pat.  What's the next occasion?  This week is "National Farrier's Week."  Is brisket traditional for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment